Sew Lined Panel Drapes

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

I cannot tell you how blown away I was with how easy it actually was to make these drapes for my boys room.  Let me tell you up front, I am no professional here!  I actually just began my sewing journey several months ago.  After tackling several projects, I felt pretty confident making these.  I spent hours reading my sewing books and looking at pictures of different styles, but knew I wanted to use ring clips to hang my curtains.  And black out lining was a necessity for me.

This is an easy, 15 step tutorial for how I made my lined panel drapes.  If you are a professional sewer, you may have a “correct” way that is different from “my” way, as I’m sure you do.  But this way worked perfect for me, and I love how they turned out.

If you do not want to use a lining for your drapes, you don’t have to.  My room gets a lot of direct sunlight, however yours may not.  You can still use this tutorial, just omit the steps for the lining.

Let’s get started:

Easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape

Measure & Cut Fabric. You want to measure how long your panels need to be.  (Because I used rings with clips, I measured from the bottom of the clip to right above the floor.)  Then add 10 inches to that number :  8″ for the bottom hem and 2″ for the top hem.  (My measurement was 86.5″ + 10″ = 96.5″ for final cut)  After you have your correct length, cut your fabric to that length.

DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape 2

Double Fold Bottom Hem. Once your fabric has been cut to length, turn it over to the wrong side.  Then you will turn down 4″, and iron this seem across.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Then turn down another 4″ and iron again.  This will give you a pressed seem for your hem.  After you have pressed the double fold, pin it in place.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Stitch The Double Fold Hem. You want to sew this close to the edge of the pinned fabric, about 1/8″.  It may seem like a pretty wide hem, but proportionately, this will give a nice look at the bottom of the curtain from the front when it’s hanging.  Be sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of your seam.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Measure & Cut Lining (Length & Width). To measure the lining, take the length of the curtain panels and add 2.5″.  (For mine, 86.5″ + 2.5″ = 89″)  Cut your lining to this length.  The width of your lining should be 6″ less then the width of your fabric.  Measure the width and cut.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Double Fold Bottom Hem For Lining. Turn up 2″ from the bottom, and press.  Turn up another 2″ and press.  Pin in place.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Stitch Bottom Hem. Again, you will want to stitch close to the edge of your pinned fabric, about 1/8″.  Make sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of your seam.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Placement of the Lining Onto Fabric. Alright, now it’s time for pinning the two pieces together.  Let’s start with the bottom.  First, lay your fabric right side up.  Then lay your lining on top of your fabric, right side down.  So – we want right sides together here.  (This is important to remember, because after everything is all sewed up, you are going to turn them inside out.)

Lay the bottom edge of your lining out 1.5″ from the bottom edge of your fabric.  Line up the sides and pin.

Continue lining the side and pin all the way to the top of the panel.  You should have 2″ more of fabric at the top then you will lining.  This is good.  We want this.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Now you need to pin the other side of the panel.  Remember, the lining is narrower then the fabric, so you will have to pull and maneuver it into place.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Attach Lining to Fabric. Using a straight stitch, sew the lining to the fabric.  This is easy.  You will just have lots of fabric to handle here.  But you can do it.   Don’t forget, back stitch and back stitch again.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Turn Fabric and Iron. Oh my goodness, we are almost done.  Can you believe it?  After you have sewed the sides together, pull through the bottom and turn the curtain inside out, which will actually be the right side.  Pull the sides until you have an equal amount of fabric on both sides.  Again, this will take some pulling and maneuvering, but it’s really pretty easy.  Iron the sides as you pull it into place.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Miter Bottom Corners. When I read I was going to have to miter the corners, I was pretty nervous.  But again, it was so easy.  Just fold the corner underneath, iron, and use a needle to blind stitch the fabric in place.  Crazy easy!

The bottom of the panel is now all done.

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Double Fold Hem Top. Remember the 2″ of extra fabric hanging around at the top?  Let’s get rid of that now.  Turn down 1″ and press.  Turn down another 1″ and press.  Pin this in place.  (Does this sound familiar?  Same process we used for the bottom hem.)

Amazingly easy DIY Sew Lined Panel Drape tutorial by Melissa Lewis.

Stitch the Top Double Fold Hem. Sew the hem close to the edge of your pinned fabric.  Again, about 1/8″.  Remember to back stitch at the beginning and end.

Guess what…

You have just made a lined curtain panel.  So incredibly easy, right?  Now all you have to do is hang them from your ring clips, and enjoy!

Lined Drape Boys Room Reveal by Melissa Lews

Tags: , , , , , , ,

65 Responses to “Sew Lined Panel Drapes”

1. Laine June 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM #

Those are beautiful! Just curious, where did you find your fabric?

• melissalewis June 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM #

Hi Laine, I either got this fabric from http://www.fabrics.com or http://www.buyfabrics.com. I buy from several online sources and can’t really keep up w/ what I ordered where. Thanks for asking.

• Lisa January 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM #

How did you figure out how wide to make them? Did you double the width of your window?

2. Mindy June 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM #

I’m like you, I don’t follow the “right” way when it comes to sewing. I just do what I can to reach my desired result. I learned a great tip on another blog for using those clip rings. I did a post about it here: http://rindymae.blogspot.com/2011/03/weekend-warriors.html
    It really makes them hang nice.

The nursery is adorable. Looking forward to poking around your blog.

3. Laura June 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM #

Thanks so much for this great tutorial. I have sewn for many years, but the thought of doing blackout lining for my kids’ curtains seemed a little daunting. But now I feel ready to tackle this project! Or maybe I’ll wait ’til next week. First I have to read the rest of your blog!

4. cheryl July 29, 2011 at 11:31 PM #

These instructions are genius! I just made a mini pair for my back door .. I was scared at first but just followed the instructions and they turned out so cute! Thankyou!

5. Laura August 6, 2011 at 11:36 AM #

These instructions are great. You say you don’t know if this is how a professional would do it. Well, I am a professional. I do sew for people and get paid for it. But I had never done panels before. I used your site to make 12 panels, installed them last week for a client and she loved them. I loved them. The only thing I did different was use hooks and rings instead of the clips. All my fabric was just too heavy for the clips but that was an easy change. And 4 of the panels had inverted pleats. Again, easy to modify your instructions for that. You explained it wonderfully and had great pictures. Well done.

• melissalewis August 17, 2011 at 5:14 PM #

Thanks so much Laura! I appreciate that, and so glad yours turned out great.

6. Jessica Coates August 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM #

This is great!

But I’m curious- why do you make the lining smaller?

Thanks!

7. Jessica Coates August 29, 2011 at 1:22 AM #

Ok, another question. How do you figure out the width of the fabric? How much do you need to compensate for the side seams?

Thanks!

8. Jessica September 4, 2011 at 8:13 AM #

Hey just jumped over from Inspired Room and I LOVE this tutorial! I have a sewing machine that scares me! Yikes….I need to refresh my memory on how to use it :) Thanks…this will help with some drapes I’m about to tackle!

9. Heather Rider September 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM #

It took me a while to visualize how this works…with the liner more narrow than the fabric. Now that I get it…genius!!! So simple! I have my fabric and my liner ready to go and I can’t wait to
    see the results. Thank you for sharing this pattern!

10. Crystal October 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM #

Did You have to use a special needle since the lining fabric is so heavy?

11. kisenok November 1, 2011 at 5:19 AM #

Your tutorial is gorgeous! I also have started sewing just a couple of months ago but this does look like even I can handle it! Thank you very much. Only one question – don’t you have to pre-wash the fabric before making curtains? It would make life MUICH easier not to do this as its easier to cut fabric straight if you dont wash it. But from what I read pre-wash is a must as the fabric can shrink in wash and you’ll end up with short curtains! What’re your thoughts on the subject?

12. Jen February 2, 2012 at 10:37 AM #

I just did this for my dining room and I have to say – yours look FABULOUS and so neat and clean. Mine are a total wreck in comparison. :)

Jen

13. Sarah February 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM #

Thanks for the great tutorial. I’ve been searching all over for a simple one to understand. I’m off to go measure my fabric and see if I can make these! I’ll post a picture on my blog when I get them done.
    Sarah recently posted..Terry Cloth Burp Cloths – DIY Tutorial

14. Norma March 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM #

I’ve had my fabric for 3 years and have been totally intimidated to do this. I’ve read books, asked, watched video’s and only your tutorial made it all click! I can do this. All my supplies are out and they will be completed by the weekend. Thanks so much and God bless.

15. alayna March 22, 2012 at 9:29 PM #

Wow! This is great! I love to sew and have sewed almost everything, but not lined drapes. But, I am making some for our church, and I was so excited to come across this tutorial that makes it look so easy and professional – especially since they won’t just be at my house – other people will see them too! I sure hope the cranky little old ladies will approve!

• melissalewis March 23, 2012 at 7:09 AM #

That is so great to hear. I am sure everyone will love them. Post a picture of the finished windows on the Midwest Magnolia Facebook wall for us all to see how great you did!

16. Lois March 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM #

Thanks for your tutorial! I’m a new sewer…..and tackling lined curtains for my kitchen and living/dining area. I made the kitchen curtains to start, and they turned out great! The tutorial is so easy to follow, and thanks for all the pictures (don’t think I could have done it without the pics!)

I’ve also enjoyed reading your blog after finding your sewing tutorial. Thanks for sharing how God is working in your life. It’s always encouraging to hear others stories.

• melissalewis April 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM #

Lois, so glad you found the tutorial easy and it was able to help you in making your curtains for your home. Thanks for the kind encouragement and for taking the time to look around the blog. ~MM

17. Jenny D. March 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM #

I saw this on Pinterest and made them today for a sliding patio door. Love the tutorial–using the clips made it so easy! Thanks for the great instructions!

• melissalewis April 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM #

Anytime Jenny:)

18. jen April 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM #

i bought the exact same fabric for my living room drapes!! great minds think alike. yours look great – i’m tackling mine AFTER easter.
    jen recently posted..pucker up. {rich & creamy lemon ice cream}

• melissalewis April 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM #

Ooh Jen, I bet that fabric will look great in your living room. When you finish, be sure to share a completed picture with us on the Midwest Magnolia Facebook page. I know I would love to see the outcome. Happy Easter!

19. Melissa Lester April 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM #

I found your tutorial yesterday and used it to make curtains for my daughter’s room. They turned out great! Thank you! And your nursery looks adorable!

20. lisa April 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM #

just made my first pair of lined drapes. great directions!!

21. Cathy April 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM #

Hi Melissa,

I too have been sewing for many years. I just have never tackled making lined curtains until my daughter-in-law wanted them for the new baby’s room. I was reading your tutorial to be sure I was doing the correct process. What a great and descriptive tutorial.

I too had put this project off due to the uncertainty of the process. Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial.

On another note, it is such a blessing to see young women on blogs speaking of their Savior and their faith in God. You are an encouragement to us all for your willingness to stand for Christ.

I do believe that this is the first blog that I have visited for sewing of a person that is from Memphis. I feel like we are neighbors. (I live in Olive Branch)

I look forward to following your blog and seeing your other tutorials.

• melissalewis April 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM #

Hey Cathy, so nice to hear from you. I am very familiar with Olive Branch. My Off The Wall studio was in Olive Branch and I drove their from my home in Memphis every day of the week. So glad your curtains turned out great! And thanks so much for the very sweet words.
      ~MM

22. Nite Nite Mommy April 24, 2012 at 5:24 PM #

Hi! I found your post through Pinterest. I am so happy to have found this. You wont believe that my husband has been against me making my own curtains because I couldn’t figure out a way to add a liner! We have store-bought black out curtains now that are so ugly! It gets 110 degrees in the summer where I live and blackout curtains are a must!!

23. Nurse77 May 25, 2012 at 5:35 AM #

I bought a new house in January and have not been able to find curtains that I like for my bedroom. I work nights as a nurse so I have had quilts tacked up in the windows, not very attractive but it works! I found material that I just loved so I decided to make my own curtains lined with blackout lining. I don’t sew, but do have my grandmothers old sewing machine! I can fo rhis right?? My mom came over and we used your tutorial to make my drapes! Thank you so much for sharing! It made our project easy to figure out!

• melissalewis May 25, 2012 at 7:44 AM #

Oh wow, that is such a thrill. And even better that you used your grandmother’s machine and made them with your mom. So happy this worked for you. I would love for your to share pictures of the room on our facebook page!

24. Amanda @ House Revivals July 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM #

Thanks for the great tutorial!

25. Rizza October 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM #

Hey Melissa,
    This seems like a great tutorial. I plan on making some curtains for my nursery in a couple of weeks. One question, did you have to wash your fabric before you started sewing and ironing?

• melissalewis October 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM #

I actually didn’t wash this fabric before hand. I could have though and if you plan on washing the curtains in the washer yourself, I definitely would. I plan on having mine cleaned however.

26. Kim October 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM #

I found this tutorial on Pinterest about a month ago and saved it. I bought some fabic on fabic.com and went to Hobby Lobby for the blackout lining and my 40% coupon. Today, I just made these curtains for my 1 year old daughters room. I can’t tell you enough how professional these curtains are. Thank You, thank you :)

• melissalewis October 11, 2012 at 8:20 AM #

Kim, I can’t tell you how happy I am to hear this! Way to go! I would love to see some pictures of the curtains and your baby girls room! Share some on my Facebook page for us to enjoy:)

27. Helen December 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM #

Haven’t sewn these in years. You post got me past the, “And now why is the fabric supposed to be wider than the lining?” question. Thanks!

28. Kathleen January 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM #

I absolutely love this chevron fabric! i am into anything and everything chevron these days along with everybody else!

So is the lining something you can buy cuts of at fabric stores online? What is it called?

• Kathleen January 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM #

Also, how many yards did you use for your entire project?

• melissalewis February 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM #

I believe I ordered 6 yards and used around 5 1/2.

• melissalewis February 4, 2013 at 7:59 AM #

Yes Kathleen, I believe I bought my lining at JoAnn’s. It’s called black out fabric.

29. Blackout Curtains February 27, 2013 at 3:19 AM #

Thanks Melissa for sharing steps for making curtains.It is very helpful.

30. Mikael March 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM #

Thank you so much for this super clear tutorial. I have made many valances, but never panels. I usually just make it up as I go and hope for the best. It was so nice to have instructions and know I was doing it right! It was simple and they turned out beautiful! I’ll be doing my living room next. Thanks again!

31. Muckety Mucked April 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM #

Thank you for such a wonderful tutorial! The photos were powerful in explaining things before I decided to tackle my own. I made shower curtain panels with your tutorial!

Photos of my panels made into a “split shower curtain” are here: http://mucketymucked.blogspot.com/2013/04/sewing-reveal-split-shower-curtain.html

It took a moment to determine how wide to cut my fabric & lining in order for the finished panel to measure the exact width I needed (since it had to match up with the plastic shower liner). I had an a-ha moment when I was working with my fabric and it came out right, but seems like there is probably a simple math formula out there for this. Anyone care to share?

32. Rebekah June 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM #

So glad to find your tutorial, I am making curtains for our nursery and these look doable. I have a question about the bottom hem. Is the lining sewn onto the main fabric?? I am a tad confused, thanks for your help!

33. Stacie June 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM #

Thank you so much for this detailed tutorial! I make a ton of mistakes when I sew, but I read this from start to finish several times before I did each step and they turned out perfect! I made eight panels for our basement windows with the yellow chevron fabric and blackout lining. The lining adds a lot of weight and bulk, but they look incredible! Now my husband can watch football games in complete darkness! Thanks again for an excellent tutorial!

34. Helen June 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM #

Thank you for this brilliant tutorial. We have just moved and I need to make lots of new curtains. Can you let me know what seam allowance you added to the width of your curtain fabric please.
    Many thanks.

35. Sarah July 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM #

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for the great tutorial! I just made these for my 10 months old room and they came out beautiful! So clear and easy to follow. So much love and sunshine from California :)

36. A Nicholson August 25, 2013 at 12:20 AM #

How much extra did you add to width needed to compensate for amount turned to the back. read over and over and did not come up with way to allow for width. help? going to make these next week and don’t want to wing it on width. thanks so much.

37. lorraine October 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM #

Hello -
    Would you happen to have a tutorial on how to make inverted pleat drapes? Thank you.
    Lorraine

38. Melissa from the Blue House October 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM #

THANK YOU for this. How funny that I just ordered this same fabric, and then spotted your tutorial on Pinterest? I’m about to redo my daughter’s room for a surprise while she’s out of town next weekend, and have big hopes that I can actually sew the drapes myself… and redo her whole room… in one weekend… yikes. Do you mind if I link back to your tutorial in a blog post?
    Melissa @ http://www.thebluehouseblog.com :)

• melissalewis October 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM #

Well nice to meet you Melissa! Love your name:) Good luck with your girls room. What a big undertaking but I have faith in you sister! Link away sweet lady.

39. Online Fabric Store Coupon January 27, 2014 at 3:14 PM #

you are in reality a good webmaster. The site loading speed is
    incredible. It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick.
    Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you’ve performed a wonderful task in this
    subject!
    Online Fabric Store Coupon recently posted..Online Fabric Store Coupon

40. enhanced zeolite March 14, 2014 at 10:14 AM #

Wonderful site. A lot of useful info here.
    I am sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious.

And of course, thanks on your sweat!

Feel free to surf to my web blog enhanced zeolite
    enhanced zeolite recently posted..enhanced zeolite

41. Tina in Boston March 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM #

Hi there! Thank you for this great tutorial! Many have asked about how this works with the lining being so much less wide than the fabric. I am sure it works based on the rave reviews but I can’t visualize it myself. Can you explain please? Thank you!
    Tina in Boston recently posted..Pearl Bracelet Giveaway Winner!

• Susan April 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM #

I was wondering the same thing!! How can you match the sides when the lining isn’t as wide?

• Holly July 10, 2014 at 9:57 PM #

The “extra” printed fabric kind of wraps around to the the back. If you were to look at the back side of the panel when it is finished you would see the white lining in the middle, and a couple inches of the printed fabric along each side. In other words, the edges are not right on the seam where the printed and lining fabric meet — you create the edges of the panels by ironing. It just looks a little bit nicer this way — you have less chance of seeing your lining. The photos over at this blog helped illustrate it for me a little better — http://www.viewalongtheway.com/2012/06/tutorial-how-to-sew-lined-back-tab-curtains-drapes-curtain-panels-whatever/

42. Donna July 18, 2014 at 11:25 PM #

Thank you for the clearly written instructions, which are so appreciated, but I’m confused about step 13. The mitered edge looks machine sewn. How did you accomplish this polished look?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Hide yo wife hide yo kids | Diane and Fernando - August 22, 2011

[...] make lined grommet curtains, I used this tutorial then followed the manufacturers instructions on the back of the grommet package. The [...]

2. Tutorial: How to Sew DIY Black-out Lined Back-tab Curtain/Drapery Panels | * View Along the Way * - June 14, 2012

[...] to make the drapes in my master bedroom… And in the nursery. I leaned pretty heavily on this great tutorial at Midwest Magnolia, but I improvised my own back-tab system because I love how the back-tabs look hanging up: So [...]

3. Chevron Dining Room Curtains - November 27, 2012

[...] what I wanted. So I Googled “chevron curtains” and totally hit the jackpot. I found the best tutorial. I am not a fan of working with large pieces of material, but this tutorial honestly made it easy. [...]

4. top of 2012 and not talkin’ myself out of it | Midwest Magnolia - January 1, 2013

[...] Sew Lined Panel Drapes Tutorial [...]

5. Lila’s Nursery | Rocky Mountain Mama - January 23, 2013

[...] high and wide to accentuate the window.  So I headed back to Pinterest and found this great tutorial.  It seemed easy enough so, off I went to the fabric store and the only fabric I could find that [...]

6. My Crafty Weekend | MoreThanMyeloma - April 21, 2013

[...] new curtains for our bedroom!  Four panels – fully lined.  Thanks to the blog post – http://midwestmagnolia.com/2011/06/sew-lined-panel-drapes/ – I was able to get this done.  The tutorial promised it as an afternoon project, but it [...]