Lined Fabric Drape Reveal & Little B’s Room

I have finally sewed, finished and hung Little B’s drapes up in his room. This has really been a long time coming.  You know that we are in a rental, and poor Little B has been living with mini-blinds (yes, I said mini-blinds) and a fleece blanket tacked to his window.  I can’t believe I just admitted that out loud.

This window is East facing and gets early morning bright sun.  I needed something to block out the light, and his curtain that worked for his single window at the Memphis house, didn’t cut it for this larger double window.

I couldn’t decide on the direction I wanted to go in his room for fabric, until finally I saw this beautiful blue and cream chevron fabric on sale at Fabric.com.  I hate to admit this as well, but I have actually had the fabric, still in the shipping envelope, for over two months now.  I have said I was too busy to work on them, but in all honesty, I was too scared.  I had never made curtains before, let alone curtains with lining.

But I gotta tell ya, this was really so darn simple, I couldn’t believe it.  I could make lined drapes all day long now!

It is A-MAZE-ING the difference real curtains makes in a room.  The moment we took down the mini-blinds and hung up the drapes, it was instant warmth and comfort.  It feels more like a home, and less like a rental… which is really what we’re going for here.

And for an extra tip that will make a world of a difference… hang the rod close to the ceiling.  Little B’s room is really quite small, but having the extra length of these drapes helps to make the room feel bigger.

The guest room is directly beside this room.  Bart was kind enough to hang our old curtains in there months ago so our guest wouldn’t be blinded by the sun.  We hung them in a hurry and therefore he just installed the rod right above the top of the window.  With both doors open to both of these rooms, I am really blown away by the difference the placement of the rod makes.  Go for high here people!

Black out lining makes all the difference in a room that gets a lot of sunlight.  And, it’s incredibly inexpensive.  I believe this was $3.99 or $4.99 at Joann’s Fabric Store and I got it when it was on special for 50% off.

And don’t be intimidated if you have never sewn a lining in curtains before.  It’s so simple, you won’t believe it.

I will be posting my step-by-step tutorial next week.

Sir Mouse really is happy now that he has a colorful backdrop.  He definitely stands out more with a pop of color and design.

And just to show you a bit more into Lil’ B’s room…

These are a few of my favorite kid’s books.  Have you read Guess How Much I Love You and If I Found A Wistful Unicorn?  Oh my stars, they are the sweetest stories.

These are more recent finds.  I found this shelf and the blocks at a flea market and you may remember this star I found here.  I just hung it on the wall, so I am still moving stuff around and pulling things from other places.  I hope to have it finished soon.

One of my favorite things in Lil’ B’s room is this mirror.  Jaime and I made this to go with the custom changing table we made for Lil’ B’s nursery.  In our Memphis home, Lil B’s walls were this dark brown.  You would think that would be a dark room for a nursery, but it really wasn’t with the white crib and dresser, and also the window fabric.

We painted the mirror to bring out all the colors in the room.  I love that the new drape fabric goes perfectly with this still.

And, I don’t know if you can tell, but Little B is a big fan of the mirror right now too.  His hand prints and kiss prints are all over it.  And more recently, this is where (when Daddy changes him into his pajamas) Little B gets to practice flexing his muscles.

And if you are interested, I will be posting my step by step process for sewing lined drapes here next week.

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Lined Fabric Drape Reveal & Little B’s Room”

1. Heather Scobey June 3, 2011 at 9:39 AM #

That looks awesome. Mimi is getting that same fabric for throw pillows in yellow! You both have great taste.

• melissalewis June 3, 2011 at 10:42 AM #

Thanks Heather!

2. Becky June 3, 2011 at 9:51 AM #

WOW! The room is so beautiful. I love that it looks collected and not straight from a catalogue! The mirror, changing table and drapes are my favorite. Great work.

• melissalewis June 3, 2011 at 10:43 AM #

Becky, I believe that is one of the best compliments I could get. Thank you for taking the time to share it:)

3. Francine June 3, 2011 at 11:26 AM #

Melissa, you are a real natural with the sewing! The drapes are fabulous. Little B’s room is magazine worthy, you have done a great job. Keep up the good work! Have a fun filled weekend!

• melissalewis June 3, 2011 at 11:40 AM #

Wow! Thank you so much Francine. This was by far, the most fun decorating project I have ever had.

4. Mary Sue Scobey June 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM #

Melissa,
    That is just beautiful. I purchased drapery fabric for my sister-in-law to make, but it is still on the bolt. I may try my luck at making them.

5. Jackie Lewis June 3, 2011 at 12:38 PM #

The drapes look great! Love that he’s always had a “contemporary” baby’s room and not the run of the mill nursery. This decor will “grow” with him.

6. Julie June 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM #

What an adorable room! I LOVE the curtains. I can’t wait for your tutorial! I am awful at sewing and could use all the guidance in the world to make it through sewing new curtains for our bedroom.

7. Christen June 7, 2011 at 2:20 PM #

love this fabric!! where did you get it?

8. Erica July 6, 2011 at 9:14 AM #

Where did you find that seersucker stuffed dog? I must have it for my little boy’s room!

• melissalewis July 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM #

Hi Erica, I’m so sorry, but I got it from J.Crew. I was the visual merchandiser there for a loooong time & it was one of the props for the kids line.

• Kristine August 24, 2011 at 2:11 PM #

I thought that looked familiar! How did you manage to snag that! You must have known the Mgr! ;)

9. britex fabrics April 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM #

Genuinely when someone doesn’t know then its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it happens.
    britex fabrics recently posted..britex fabrics

10. juice fasting April 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM #

I’ve been surfing on-line more than three hours nowadays, yet I never discovered any interesting article like yours. It is lovely price sufficient for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content material as you probably did, the internet will likely be a lot more helpful than ever before.
    juice fasting recently posted..juice fasting

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Busting Out Some Projects & Another Peak | Midwest Magnolia - June 6, 2011

[...] forget, I’ll be posting a tutorial for how I made Lil’ B’s curtains tomorrow!  I hope you check back here so that you can get you some beautiful drapes too.  Trust [...]

2. Crazy Thanks & Changes! | Midwest Magnolia - June 13, 2011

[...] have to say, I was overwhelmed when Melissa from The Inspired Room featured Lil B’s room on her blog, not once but twice, in two weeks.  The response I got from y’all was crazy!  I [...]

3. Big Boy Room Inspiration | Midwest Magnolia - February 7, 2012